Morning all… Best Disney parks-and-more headlines from the past week!
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom is going to be expanding its character greeting opportunities, with a new Adventurer’s Outpost! Camp Minnie-Mickey will still be in operation so this, apparently is just an (indoor) bonus!
- Florida residents! Until June 7 you can get a 3-day ticket to WDW for only $119! You guys, that’s pretty amazing, and no bull.
- First look at the in-progress interactive queue at the WDW Big Thunder Mountain Railroad. Any thoughts on the interactive queues? I think they’re an amazing use of new technology to cut down on the line boredom. 🙂
- Victoria and Albert’s Chef, Scott Hunnel, is a 2013 James Beard Award semifinalist! This means he’s a good chef. Like really good. I’ve never eaten at V&A but if you have, think this is deserved? Long overdue? Leave a comment!
- HiddenMickeyGuy.com reports on a new exhibit at Innoventions, IBM THINK. This exhibit is based on a popup exhibit at New York’s Lincoln Center, and showcases the impact of new technology on the world. I’m vague, go read the article.
- From WDWNewsToday.com, we’ve got concept art for the refurbed Main Street Bakery with Starbucks. Call me a party pooper, but… no thank you. 😦 I don’t need Starbucks with my Main Street, mope mope.
- Raglan Road in WDW Downtown Disney will have a huge St. Pat’s celebration, per the Alt Disney World blog. Well…naturally! 😀
- New Tables In Wonderland events have been announced, as reported on the Eating WDW blog. The main one is at The Wave… of American Flavors, at the Contemporary Resort, this March.
- WDW maps will be getting a redesign at the start of March! Which makes me want to run out and grab as many of the current ones as I can. Which is impossible, lol, since I’m in MD.
- The high attendance rates at Disneyland this year because of Cars Land have led to Disney dropping the discounts for SoCal residents this year. They were presented as “Special offers” and not a given anyway, but it always stinks when you come to rely on something… 😛
- Maurice’s Treats will be opening March 12 in Disneyland, reports the Disney Food Blog. The menu of available items is here! WANT THESE. Leave it to Maurice to sell food this good. 😉
- This has been mentioned all over the place lately, but in case you missed it, Disneyland is now enforcing FastPass return times. Previously even though you were given a time window, they were rarely enforced. WDW has been holding to the window for a while now and so is DL, so don’t miss your turn without realizing it!
- The Disneyland Monorail was temporarily shut down last week due to a wheel falling off. Nobody was hurt, just delayed, and all cars are back in operation.
- Okay, this is interesting: apparently they might be bringing back Roger Rabbit for a cartoon remake of “The Stooge”, a Martin/Lewis film from the 50s. Roger would be starring opposite Mickey, who would take the Dino role… I assume… Read about it on The Rotoscopers blog!
- Twitter feed only, so far: TouringPlans tested out the new beta Fastpass system for Be Our Guest restaurant at WDW!
- According to the Times-Picayune, New Orleans is trying to woo Disney Cruise Lines to set up NO as a port of call. Be VERY interested in seeing how that goes. Thanks to @LaughingPlace.com for reporting this.
- Another one from LaughingPlace.com: Apparently Disney has a patent for a floating Omnimover ride. This would be a boat ride, but in the same style as their other constant-loading rides like Spaceship Earth, Peoplemover TTA, Haunted Mansion and so on. Now personally I read “floating” and got really excited for some kind of anti-gravity “HoverMover” contraption. It’s nearly 2015 and I STILL don’t have my hoverboard, people.
- Once more from LaughingPlace.com, here are some photo updates of Magic Kingdom news. Since they’re photos they’re not really rumours but… well, I don’t have a better place to stick ’em. I can’t believe how much everyone is talking about the Rapunzel Restrooms. This cracks me up. 😀
Disney General News:
- As Disney positions themselves more and more in the fashion world, they’re now set to release a makeup line called Beautifully Disney. Honestly? Not sure what to think of this, but I’m sure it’ll do well.
- New Haunted Mansion park merchandise?? WANT.
- D23 will be holding an expo in Japan this year! The dates are set for October 12-14, 2013!
- As reported on the Disney Plus, the Disney archives have released a recently-discovered sketch of Mickey from 1938!
- Two of my favourite Studio Ghibli films are being rereleased on DVD in May! Howl’s Moving Castle and My Neighbour Totoro will have new editions coming out, look for them!
- Rachel Booth won yesterday’s Princess Half Marathon at Walt Disney World! Congratulations Rachel!!