Epcot’s annual Flower and Garden Festival is starting this year on March 6, 2013, and running through May 19. The amount of work that goes into this festival is amazing and it’s always well worth a visit during this time! I was there for this festival in 2008 and they have such amazing topiaries and arrangements. They had one great Peter Pan section with a biiiiig Crocodile!
This year’s Festival is the 20th anniversary and in addition to the great topiaries they will have Garden Marketplace parties, a Land of Oz play area for kids, live music from “Flower Power” artists of the ’60s and ’70s, and butterfly gardens.
From Disney’s release:
Debuting this year:
- Garden Marketplace culinary creations ranging from smokehouse barbecue and shrimp with grits and Zellwood corn to sweet “frushi” made with fresh fruits and coconut rice. Chefs are perfecting menus for marketplaces that will include Florida Fresh at World Showcase Promenade, Smokehouse Barbecue and Brew at American Adventure courtyard, Primavera Kitchen at Italy showcase, Hanami at Japan showcase and eight others around the World Showcase promenade.
- Garden Marketplace refreshing libations with a kick like Hot Sun Tomato Wine from Florida Orange Groves Winery and Dole Whip with Spiced Rum, as well as non-alcoholic drinks like Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade and Wild Berry Slush.
- A new, circus-like “Land of Oz” play area based on the Disney fantastical film adventure “Oz: The Great and Powerful” to be released March 8, 2013. The interactive children’s play zone will feature play systems adorned with giant flowers and designed to stretch kids’ imaginations and muscles. Midway-style games, red-and-white circus-themed tents and the “Oz Movie Garden” of intriguing plants will capture the spirit of the upcoming film.
- Larger-than-life Fab Five Disney character topiary. Floral versions of Mickey Mouse, Minnie Mouse, Goofy, Pluto and Donald Duck (with Daisy Duck in a cameo) star in a celebratory cookout scene in living topiary color. The 14-foot-tall Goofy topiary will bobble an anniversary cake while Donald and Daisy play badminton, Mickey fires up the grill, Pluto swipes a link of hot dogs and Minnie chills out on a colorful blanket of blossoms.
- Illuminated Gardens in the Park’s Future World and World Showcase will twinkle and glow over the festival’s world-famous Disney gardens and topiaries each festival evening.
Quick self-promotion: Want to visit during this time? It’s a great season to take a vacation at Disney World – the weather’s good, crowds aren’t too high, and you’ve got the flowers. Contact me in a comment or via Twitter and I can give you a quote, or help you book a trip! I’m working with Fairytale Journeys and we specialize in Disney vacations!